Neurosurgery is surgery of the brain and spine and it's a major area of expertise at Hermitage Clinic. We have the largest number of neurosurgeons operating in any private centre in Ireland and are recognised as having a superior private neurosurgical unit.
Our multidisciplinary team manage a wide range of surgical and conservative management services. Our dedicated staff will care for you from your first consultation to your discharge from the clinic.
Many of our consultants are linked to the National Neurosurgical Unit. Our team includes:
- Consultant Neurosurgeons
- Consultant Neuroanaesthetists
- Critical Care Specialists
- Consultant Neuroradiologists
- Neurosurgical Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Neurospecialist Physiotherapists
- A dedicated medical social work service
We offer specialist consultations, advanced scans and multiple procedures.
Who we treat
Our consultants can help you manage pain, ease neurological disorders and stabilise your spine. We treat a number of injuries and conditions at the Hermitage Clinic.
- brain and spine injuries
- spinal conditions
- aneurysm (weak artery wall)
- spine and brain tumours
- hydrocephalus (build-up of fluid in the brain)
- trigeminal neuralgia (pain in the face affecting the trigeminal nerve)
What to expect
At your first appointment, you'll meet with your consultant to talk about your issue.
One of our neuroradiologists will then take you for any scans that you might need. This may happen on the same day as your consultation.
Learn about the different types of scans we offer and what they involve.
Once you have your scan results, your consultant will suggest your treatment plan.
Before any surgery, one of our specialist nurses will carry out a health check to make sure you're ready for your anaesthetic and procedure.
After your procedure, our team will care for you at our dedicated neurosurgical inpatient ward. We provide superior accommodation designed for your care.
We strive to make your recovery as easy and swift as possible. If you've had surgery on your spine, you might be seen by a specialist neurosurgical physiotherapist as part of your recovery. Our physiotherapists are experts in assessing and treating neurosurgery patients.
Our consultants perform complex brain and spinal surgeries in our advanced operating room. Our theatres are equipped with the most modern navigation and robotic surgical platforms.
Spinal procedures include:
- lower back surgery
- spinal fusion using rods and screws
- microdiscectomy (for a prolapsed disc)
- laminectomy or nerve root decompression (to ease pressure on the spinal cord and nerves)
- anterior cervical decompression and fusion (surgery to discs in the neck)
- vertebroplasty (to relieve fracture pain)
Cranial procedures include:
- VP shunt insertion for the treatment of Hydrocephalus
- craniotomies (temporary removal of bone to repair the brain or remove a tumour)
- craniectomies (to remove a part of the skull to relieve pressure from the brain)
- cranioplasty to repair bone defects in the skull
- microvascular decompression for the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- foramen decompression for the treatment of Chiari Malformation
At Hermitage Clinic, we also specialise in Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery.
Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery can be performed to treat different spinal disorders such as degenerative disc disease, a herniated disc (slipped disc) and spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal).
Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery generally means that you'll have a shorter hospital stay, recover faster from your surgery and experience less pain. There's also a lower risk of infection after your surgery.
Not all services are covered by health insurance. To find out if you're covered, contact your health insurance provider before your visit.
Visit our Health insurance and self-pay page for more information.
If you do not have health insurance or your health plan does not cover the full cost, you will need to pay on the day of your visit.
You might be able to claim fees on your insurance.
If you need to submit an insurance excess or pay inpatient fees after a stay at the Hermitage Clinic, you can pay your bill online.