The Executive Medical draws upon the expertise of Blackrock Health Hermitage Clinic consultants working in a diverse array of disciplines including cardiology, gastroenterology, and radiology. Our vision is to provide the complete journey from screening to diagnosis to treatment should it be required.
Prior to consultation
In order for us to discuss the most accurate results possible with you on the day of your consultation, we complete a number of steps in advance of your consultation which include:
- You will firstly complete a detailed questionnaire upon booking with us which will allow us to analyse your unique risk profile and history in advance
- We then schedule an appointment for you to have a blood test completed before you come along for your screening appointment (see tests carried out below)
- When you get your pre-assessment bloods taken, the nurse/phlebotomist will give you a home FOB (faecal occult blood) test kit. We ask you to carry out this test at home, before your health screen for your comfort and convenience. When you come to the Clinic for your appointment, the nurse will ask you for your FOB test result to add to your file for the doctor to review. The presence of FOB in the stool is associated with gastrointestinal disorders that may lead to colorectal cancer if not treated. Early diagnosis by FOB screening has been shown to significantly reduce mortality in colorectal cancer. It will yield a positive or negative result.
|HbA1c||To check for diabetes. It is an average of your blood sugar over the past 3 months|
|Full blood count||To determine your general health status and to screen for a variety of disorders, such as anaemia|
|Liver function||To check liver function and to check for liver damage|
|Renal (kidney) profile||To determine if your kidneys are functioning normally and to check for the possibility of kidney disease|
|Bone profile||To measure proteins, minerals and enzymes present in bone which may detect bone problems|
|Vitamin D||This is the sunshine vitamin and is important to absorb calcium, promote bone growth and for other important body functions|
|Vitamin B12||This is a nutrient that helps keep your body’s blood and nerve cells healthy. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent megaloblastic anaemia, a blood condition that makes people tired and weak|
|Thyroid||To check the function of the gland that controls your energy release and metabolism|
|Iron status||To check for too little iron (anaemia) or excess iron (haemochromatosis)|
|Full lipid profile: cholesterol and triglycerides||To measure the risk factors for developing heart disease|
What can I expect on the day?
In addition to the tests outlined above, it may be necessary on occasion to refer patients on for further outpatient tests e.g. CT Cardiac, endoscopy tests etc. depending on the patient’s presentation and risk factor profiling on the day. Minerva will refer you to the relevant specialists to have these tests and consultations scheduled. Please take note that these further tests will not be covered under the original Minerva Consultation cost.
When you arrive, you will firstly be seen by a nurse. They will carry out some measurements and assessments on you, including blood pressure, height, weight, BMI, waist-to-hip ratio, a respiratory test and an electrocardiogram (a simple test that is used to check your heart's rhythm and electrical activity).
Then you will be seen by a doctor* (takes approximately 40 minutes), who will have access to your full laboratory (bloods) results, measurements, and outputs from the nurse’s initial assessments. They will then carry out a physical examination that will cover the following:
- Cardiac examination
- Peak flow spirometry examination
- Abdominal examination
- Testicular examination (for men)
- Breast examination (for women)
- Dermatology exam
- Prostate exam (for men over 40)
*The nurse will also be present to act as a chaperone during the physical examination
Once the doctor has completed the physical examination, they will use all the measurements, questionnaire scores and test results to discuss your medical history and complete a lifestyle medical review focusing on areas such as:
- Physical activity
The focus of the discussion is to identify the areas for particular focus and attention based on all the information available from the tests, questionnaires, etc. An individual action plan is then agreed by the patient and the doctor to target the areas identified in the consultation. You will then receive your comprehensive report within 10 days of your appointment and a follow up is then carried out 3 months post to see how you are progressing with your plan.
We appreciates the roles that sleep, stress, society, diet, and exercise play in our lives and engage with our patients to prioritise these areas in their lives.
Book Your Executive Health Check Today
Invitation code: ExecMedical